Multiplication Fact Fluency Challenge

Saturday, November 24, 2018
Multiplication is a huge topic for third graders. I spend a lot of time building conceptual understanding of multiplication with my students, practicing multiplication with manipulatives, pictures, word problems -- you name it! Ultimately, though, in order for students to be able to solve problems using multiplication efficiently, they do need to learn some of their multiplication facts. Thus, the Multiplication Challenge was born.


When I was a third grader myself, I had to get my "multiplication license." On the big day, my teacher made us all go down a row and verbally recite our multiplication facts. I think I must have passed, but I remember the whole experience being very stressful. I hated everything about it -- practicing my facts at home, reciting them, the anxiety of needing to pass...my stomach hurts just thinking about it! Now I'm a third grade teacher, forcing my students to memorize their multiplication facts. Hmm...


I have reflected a lot on my own experience with multiplication facts as I've refined my Multiplication Challenge over the last couple of years. I frame it in a positive light; rather than something my students "have to do" (like my multiplication license, ugh), I tell my students that this is a skill that will help them to become more efficient mathematicians. I teach them how to study, how to use flashcards, and how the human brain can memorize something. When a student masters a fact, I cheer! We celebrate! It's exciting! If a student doesn't master a fact, that's ok, too! "Here's how you use what you know already to practice so you can try again," I tell them. I plan two rewards throughout the challenge: fun, joyful celebrations of their progress. I really emphasize perseverance and practice, which helps me reach my students intrinsically as well. You'll catch me saying something like, "Wow, I am so proud of you! I know you worked really hard to learn your 7s. You must be so proud of yourself."

When we begin the Multiplication Challenge, I have to teach my students the study skills they need to become a Multiplication Master. Most 8- and 9-year olds have never explicitly tried to memorize something before (okay, half of them know their phone numbers). Humans are not born knowing how to study -- someone has to teach them. I teach my students how to use flashcards, how to practice with others, and how continuous practice is necessary for memorization.

Multiplication Challenge Anchor Chart
To become Multiplication Masters, students need to pass 14 quizzes: one combined quiz for 0s and 1s facts, one each for 2s-12s, and two mixed-factor "all" quizzes. As my students are practicing their facts at home, at school, and anywhere else they can think of, they take the responsibility of letting me know when they think they have mastered a fact and want to take the accompanying quiz. Some students need a little more encouragement from me than others, but I try to give them as much control as possible. I leave a million copies of each quiz in the Multiplication Challenge bin, and students grab whichever quiz they need from the file folders inside. Each quiz has 40 questions, they need at least 38/40 correct in order to pass, and they have only three minutes for each quiz. I do provide accommodations for those students who need them (e.g., extra time).


My students track their progress in a few different ways. Each time they master a factor by passing a quiz, they choose a sticker to add to their multiplication trackers. Every student has one tracker hanging in the classroom, and another in their homework folder, where their parents can monitor their progress.


I also hang some large, blank numbers in my room, which the students sign as they master their facts. This is one way students can find a study buddy: when they decide what factor they want to practice next, they can look at the numbers to find a buddy who has already mastered that fact, and ask them for advice or help!


Anytime a student becomes a Multiplication Master, I make a huge deal about it, and we celebrate as a class with a roller coaster cheer. I give each student a Multiplication Master badge, which they wear proudly for the rest of the day and then hang in a place of honor at their home (or lose it under their bed, I suppose I don't really know).


I start the Multiplication Challenge at the end of November or beginning of December, and the students have until May to become Multiplication Masters. About halfway through the challenge we have our Halfway Party. This is usually something casual, like extra recess, and students are invited if they have mastered half (7 of 14) of the quizzes. I work really hard to get everyone there, but if someone has not mastered half of their quizzes by the Halfway Party, they spend that time practicing their facts. I allow them to attempt the quizzes during the Halfway Party so that they can join us if they reach the halfway point even in the middle of the celebration.

At the end of the Multiplication Challenge, we have a big celebration. Usually for this we go to the school's auditorium and watch a new and exciting movie (last year we watched Coco) and eat popcorn! Again, if students are not yet Multiplication Masters at the time of the party, they use their party time to get down to business and finish the Challenge. To date, I have never had a third grader not become a Multiplication Master.

I really do swear by the Multiplication Challenge. It increases students' fact fluency (at least temporarily), teaches them study skills, and the teamwork and support I see between classmates is incredible. I love watching students quiz each other, help each other study, and cheer their classmates on when they've passed a quiz. When someone doesn't pass a quiz, their classmates are so kind and supportive...hearing one student say to another, "It's ok, let's do flashcards together and you can try again tomorrow!" just warms my heart. I don't know if it's something I'm doing that creates this positive, supportive environment, or if it's all on the kids, but I love that my students approach the challenge as a team, with a mindset of "we are going to become Multiplication Masters."

If you want to give the Multiplication Challenge a try in your classroom, all of my materials are available in my TPT store.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top