Data Detectives Math Mystery Classroom Transformation

Saturday, December 1, 2018
When I first learned about this idea of "classroom transformations," I was weary. They seemed expensive, complicated, and prep-intensive...but I also read and heard so much about how engaging they were! I contemplated the idea for a long time. I knew that if I was ever going to try a classroom transformation, it would need to be cheap and simple, but meaningful. I also knew that I wanted any transformation happening in my classroom to be directly connected to my curriculum and not just a transformation for the sake of it.

I tested out a few classroom transformations last year and, despite my initial reservations, I loved them! I was amazed at how much some minor tweaks to our classroom and a prop here or there could increase my students' engagement. I definitely went a little over-the-top with prep time in some of last year's transformations, so reducing prep time has been my goal in planning transformations this year. Well, our first classroom transformation of the school year was a huge success, so I wanted to share it with you!



I created this activity as an opportunity for my students to stretch and apply what they had been learning about bar graphs and picture graphs (pictographs). We did this after two weeks of learning about data, the day before our unit test.

All I did to decorate the classroom was string some CAUTION tape around. To my kids, the CAUTION tape alone was so exciting and I'm all about minimalism (as far as time spent decorating the classroom is concerned at least, maybe not in all other aspects of my life). When my students came to school that morning, I gave them each a police badge and presented their assignment: Police Headquarters needed the help of our data analysts because a crime of mischief had occurred in our classroom! The data from some bar graphs and pictographs I had left in the classroom had been scattered--gasp!


I then split my class up into five teams grouped based on ability, language, and personality (which is always like a really difficult game of Tetris...). We spent a good chunk of time discussing what teamwork looks like, sounds like, and feels like before getting started. Each team received a "case file" manila folder and envelope. The folder contained what remained of the original data that had been discombobulated (I'll refer to these as the "starters"), and the envelope contained 8 clue cards and the scattered pieces of data, as well as some decoy items to really get their brains thinking.


Ultimately, the students needed to use the clues to determine which pieces belonged with which starters, if any. They also needed to use information from the starters themselves. This was no easy task! It took my students a lot of brain power, but they were 100% engaged! I was really impressed at the way students reasoned through the information they had in front of them. I gave very few hints or redirections; instead I listened to the kids talking to each other and working things out together. Even when I knew they were wrong, I tried to let it play out as long as possible before interfering. This was really hard for me, but I saw that most of the time students were able to correct their mistakes without me! Meanwhile, I praised students who were working together and including their teammates and gave out Class Dojo points to those who were following expectations...this kept me occupied so that I didn't spend too much time in the driver's seat.

An example of some of the reasoning demonstrated by students in this activity
All in all, I consider this classroom transformation to have been a huge success. It was easy for me to prepare, the little ones were so engaged, and they practiced so many skills! They were using their data skills, of course, but also teamwork and some really solid critical thinking skills. I had a lot of fun, too. If you've used this resource in your classroom, I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top